John McDonald Obituary

Special Dispatch to the Baltimore Sun – September 26, 1906

Sykesville, MD, Sept. 25. — Mr. John McDonald, one of the leading merchants of Carroll county, who died Sunday at the Maryland University Hospital, was buried today from his home in Sykesville.

Mr. McDonald is survived by a widow, Mrs. Kate A. McDonald, daughter of Mr. George A. Blake of Baltimore; two daughters, Marie and Kate, and a son, Harry Blake McDonald.

Mr. McDonald was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1846, and located in Sykesville in 1856, where he conducted a general store and was eminently successful. His home is one of the handsomest in Carroll County.

The funeral services took place in St. Joseph’s Church, where a requiem high mass was celebrated by Fathers Robert Achsletter, Edward McAdams and Thomas J. McCluskey.

Over 500 persons attended the services. All business in Sykesville was suspended for the funeral. The honorary pallbearers were Messrs. E. M. Mellor, Wade H. D. Warfield, John Harris, A. Hepner, Harvey Fowble, L. H. Schultz, W. H. Bennett and Dr. D. B. Sprecher.

The active pallbearers were Messrs. W. H. Timmermann, Edgar Easton, William Warthen, Clyde Pindell, Howard Scott and Walter Hawkins.

 

Leave a Comment

Previous post: