“Kalorama” Is Destroyed By Fire

One of Sykesville’s Old Homesteads Leveled By Flames

December 19, 1946

“Kalorama,” one of the old homesteads of Sykesville, was destroyed by fire last Friday evening.

Half a dozen fire companies fought the blaze and prevented spread of the flames to other property. Sparks carried by a strong wind threatened homes considerable distances away.

The large and substantially built frame house was occupied by the owner, Edward H. Hargraves, by Mr. and Mrs. John Louis Brown and 4-year-old daughter, and by Mr. and Mrs. William Hipsley and infant son.

Mr. Brown discovered the fire around 6:30 P.M. The attic and part of the second story were burning fiercely and Mr. Brown was unable to retrieve $150 in cash which he had in a room on the second floor. Some of his furniture in adjoining rooms was saved.

The Hipsley family lived on the first floor and most of their furniture was saved. Mr. Hargraves, away at the time of fire was discovered, lost all of his possessions. Loss on the house, estimated at $8,000, was about one-half covered by insurance.

Fire companies from Springfield hospital, West Friendship, Mt. Airy, Westminster and Ellicott City joined the Sykesville company in fighting the blaze for more than three hours. Four of the companies laid out a 3800-foot hose line and relayed water from the Patapsco river.

After the blaze was subdued, the local  and out-of-town firemen were served sandwiches and coffee in a local lunch room under the auspices of the Sykesville Ladies’ Auxiliary,

According to Miss Ella Schultz, whose father previously owned the place, Kalorama was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. James Sykes. Later it came into the possession of Zimmerman & Schultz, and then was purchased by Louis H. Schultz. Mr Schultz sold it to Mr. Hargraves about 20 years ago.

 

Leave a Comment

Previous post: