Last Rites Held for Young Mother

March 30, 1944

Mrs. Jane Hobbs Cutsail For Whom New Drug Was Sought Buried Sunday

Funeral services for Mrs. Jane Elizabeth Cutsail, 17-year-old Sykesville mother, who died early last Friday after desperate, last-minute efforts to save her life with the new infection-curing drug penicillin, were held Sunday at 2 p.m., from the home of her parents on Springfield avenue.

Large numbers of friends of the attractive young daugther of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan C. Hobbs turned out on a sunny Spring afternoon for the final rites, conducted by Rev. Lewis F. Ransom, Sykesville minister, assisted by Mr. Henry Rheb of Baltimore.

Six schoolmates–Richard Gardner, Middleton Phelps, Malcolm Burman, Tommy Forsyth, Jack Sayer and Paul Day–served as pallbearers. She was buried in Springfield Cemetery, her grave banked by more than 30 floral pieces.

Death Caused By Rare Infection

Death in tragic circumstances came to the local young woman at University Hospital after a two-week illness that followed the premature birth of a little son and that saw the mother fail to respond to numerous transfusions of blood given by people of this community. The child, named Kenneth Wayne Cutsail, is thriving in an incubator at the hospital.

Stricken with a streptococcus heart infection known to yield only to the new “wonder drug” penicillin, Mrs. Cutsail lay near death for several days while her father, a Purple Heart veteran of the first World War, sought frantically a supply of the scarce and strictly rationed drug to save her life.

When civilian authorities refused request for the drug on ground that none was available and that the local case would require enough of the precious penicillin for 15 or 20 ordinary pneumonia cases, the Red Cross and the Army were appealed to by Mr. Hobbs.

Pencillin Arrives Late

Learning of the young woman’s plight, the chief medical officer of Camp Holabird, Md, Col. C. D. Holmes, took it upon himself to send some of the camp’s supply of penicillin to the hospital. A large dose of the drug was administered Thursday night but she died in the early hours of Friday morning.

Mrs. Cutsail was the only daughter of Nathan C. and Sedonia Hood Hobbs. Besides her parents and the infant son, she is survived by her husband L. Cutsail and one brother, Junior Hobbs. She also leaves her maternal and paternal grandmothers, Mrs. Haddie Hood and Mrs. William Hobbs.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: