Local Affairs

May 6 1876

Democratic Advocate

History of Holy Trinity and St. Barnabas Churches – Rev. Robert Piggot, Pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Carroll County, Md. delivered a historical sermon on the 30th of January, at Sykesville, and on the 9th of April at St. Barnabas, in aid of a permanent fund for educational purposes, and for the building of an Academy both for primary, classical and scientific instruction, at the village of Sykesville, on Rectory Hill. There are two churches in the parish, within four miles of each other, one at Sykesville and the other at Eldersburg, Holy Trinity, on the Liberty Pike, in this county. This last named church is now in the first decade of its second century. The ground on which it stands was conveyed by “John Welsh, of Baltimore county and Province of Maryland, Gentleman, in a deed of gift to Abel Brown, Robert Lewis, Edward Dorsey and John Elder, Planters, for the purpose of building thereon a Chapel of Ease for the benefit of Delaware Hundred.” This conveyance was made 8th day of March, A.D. 1771, one hundred and five years ago on the 8th of March 1876. From Miss Susanna Warfield, the venerated senior communicant of the Parish, Dr. Piggot gleaned a few facts in relation to the history of the church at that place. It was formerly comprehended within the limits of the Parish of St. Thomas. During the Revolutionary war it was deserted by the ministry, and stood for a long time in a rather dilapidated condition. But in 1842, at the suggestion of Bishop Whittingham, it was refitted by the ladies of the neighborhood. At the Diocesan Convention of 1843, a petition was presented for the formation of a new Parish under the title of Holy Trinity Parish, in Carroll and Baltimore counties, of which the chapel should become the Parish church. ON the 31st of October following, the Bishop was petitioned to consecrate the renovated chapel as the Parish church. The petitioners were Jesse Hollingsworth and Wm. H. Warfield, Wardens; W.W. Warfield, Geogre F. Warfield, James Sykes, John Colhoon, Nicholas Dorsey and George W. Manro, Vestrymen, and Washington L. Bromley Register. Rev. D. Hillhouse Buel was the Rector, who resigned Nov. 1st, 1847. During Mr. Buel’s rectorship he held services at Lisbon, in Howard county, and when the church at Westminster was erected, that was also taken into connection, giving him labor in all three neighborhoods. At a vestry meeting held on the 5th of July, 1847, Messrs. James Sykes, Charles W. Hood, and Wm. H. Warfield, were appointed a building committee, to proceed in the erection of a chapel at Sykesville. The corner store was laid June 11th, 1850, St. Barnabas day, by Bishop Whittingham, and named after St. Barnabas. It was finished and consecrated in December 1851. Rev. Thomas J. Wyatt was their first Rector.

The sermon abounds in historic facts of much interest to those living in the vicinity of these churches. We understand it is the intention to publish it in pamphlet form for the benefit of the new enterprise started by Dr. Piggot, which commends itself to the generosity of church members in the Diocese generally.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: