Pilot Killed One Week Before The War Ended

August 16, 1945

Sykesville Airman Loses Life In India

This community’s rejoicing over the Japanese surrender and ending nearly four long years of war was dampened this week by news of the death of a local airman in the closing days of the conflict.

Capt. Wayne L. Flohr, 25-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. W. LeRoy Flohr, and pilot of a B-24 Liberator bomber with the 14th U.S. Air Force in Assam, India, was killed August 7 in an accident at that air base, according to a War Department telegram received by his wife, the former Miss Audrey Rapp, of Catonsville.

Capt. Flohr had been stationed in India for nearly a year, piloting a bomber over “The Hump” and blasting the Japs in occupied China. With 600 flying hours to his credit, as against a required 400, he led his squadron in this respect and expected to come home on furlough soon. He was due promotion to Major in another month.

Before becoming a pilot in the Air Force, young Flohr served in two other branches of the Army — the Medical Corps and the Signal Corps. He entered the service on Oct. 3, 1941, and received his initial training at New Cumberland, Pa. Later he qualified for Officer’s Candidate School and was graduated from Fort Monmouth, N. J., as a second lieutenant in the Signal Corps.

Flew Bomber From U.S. to India

Transferred to the Air Service, he was graduated as a pilot from Fredrick Army Field in Oklahoma and promoted to First Lieutenant. After further training at Fort Worth Air Field in Texas and March Field, Calif., he flew with a group of 24 bombers, each with a ten-man crew, to the East Coast, thence to India. In February of this year he was promoted to Captain.

The local youth graduated Sykesville High School in 1936 and was a member of the 1939 graduating class of Springfield Hospital. Following his completion of a course in electrical refrigeration at the Coyne Electrical School, he was employed in that work by a Baltimore firm until he was called into the Army. He was a member of St. Paul’s Methodist Church, Sykesville.

Surviving, in addition to his wife and parents, is a brother, Myrl P. Flohr, a Navy chief gunner’s mate on the USS Santa Fe. He also leaves his paternal grandfather, C. Milton Flohr, and a number of aunts and uncles.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: