Postoffice To Move Into New Quarters

August 18, 1927

The Department Has Leased Space In The Recently Erected Hood Building

J. Edwin Hood, builder of the new Hood Building, situated on the east side of Main Street, opposite the Arcade Building, has just signed a contract with the Postoffice Department, Washington, D.C., leasing space in the new building for ten years, for the use of the Sykesville, Md., postoffice, and to furnish some according to the requirements of the Department.

Mr. Hood is putting in the quarters in accordance with the Government specifications and will furnish it with the most modern equipment.

The room has eight large windows, which will give plenty of light, good ventilation, and all side and rear doors will be covered with wire screens, protected by gates. Special attention has been given to the electric lights. There will be ten of 100 watts each; two electric fans, and all other necessary equipment, including the following windows: Money Order, Parcel Post, Registry, Postal Savings, Stamp, Insured and C.O.D. There will also be two panel units, fitted with lock boxes; letter and paper assorting cases, rural carriers’ assorting and routing tables and cases, stamping tables, bad racks, safe, clock, cabinets, bulletin boards, lobby desks, and in fact everything necessary for an up-to-date postoffice. Everything will be new, as none of the old equipment will be moved into the new quarters.

Postmaster William Melville has purchased a new electric cancelling machine of the latest type to go into the new office. This machine will cancel 25,000 letters per hour.

Mr. Melville informs as that he will move the postoffice to the new location September 1. There will be plenty of lock boxes, and you should see the postmaster and rent one.

Every citizen of Sykesville should be proud of this new postoffice. It will be open every week day from 6:45 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: