Springfield Dedication Is Largely Attended

October 5, 1950

Swelled by representative groups from other churches of the community, a gathering of members and friends that filled the sanctuary and overflowed into the balcony, last Sunday night attended the dedicatory service of Springfield Presbyterian Church.

The service marked the completion of a new chancel and other improvements to the church property costing upwards of $9,000. A report by the  Trustees placed the current improvement debt at $2,400, with some additional work to be done later.

Built in 1836, Springfield today stands a reminder of the past, to which a zealous pastor and a small but loyal group of people have added the beauty and convenience of the present. A highly pleased community-wide gathering last Sunday agreed that the improvement job had been done well and with good taste.

Four ministers participated in the dedicatory service-Dr. S. R. Diehl, of Martinsburg, W. Va., who delivered the sermon; Rev. Robert L. Riddle and Rev. D. Kirk Hammond, of Baltimore; and the local pastor, Rev. Julian T. Owen.

Following the service, a largely-attended reception arranged by the Women of the Church, was held in the newly renovated Sunday School.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: