With Those In The Service

June 7, 1945

Discharged on Points

With 80 points to his credit, one more than the required 85, Sgt. Leroy Barnes, Sykesville, was discharged from the Army on May 31, probably the first man from this community to be discharged under the recently announced points system.

Sgt. Barnes — “Ted” to hometown friends — was home on a 45-day rotation furlough from active duty in France when Germany surrendered and the G. I. points system went into effect.

Here is how his score added up: For 40 months in the service, 40 points; for 30 1/2 months over seas, 31 points; for three battle stars at 5 points each, 15 points; total 86.

Before entering the service on January 12, 1942, Ted, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Barnes of Sykesville, was employed by the Western Electric Company, Baltimore. In the Army he was assigned to the Signal Corps. He was overseas from September, 1942 until April, 1945.

Military Miscellany

Sgt. William A. Arrington, who spent four of his seven months overseas in a German prison camp, is home on a 30-day sick leave from Walter Reed Hospital. Sgt. Arrington entered the service in March, 1944, and went overseas in November of that year. Four days before Christmas he was captured by the Germans in the Belgium break-through and remained their prisoner until freed by Allied forces in April, 1945.

Machinist’s Mate 1-c Mathew Reilly, Seabees, returned to Camp Endicott, Rhode Island, on Tuesday, after a 13-day furlough with his family here. Following a brief period of advanced training, he is to go overseas.

Operating motion picture machines, the thing he did on his evening in Sykesville before the war, is what Cpl. Robert Frampton now does for American G. I.s in Czechoslovakia. Bob writes that he is about 20 points short of the 85 required for discharge, and wonders what his next assignment will be…Probably the Army of Occupation.

Lee Warfield, who, in civilian life, worked for Potts & Callahan, will continue to do construction work now that he is in uniform. Lee reported for military service on Tuesday and landed in the Seabees, Navy construction battalion.

Donald Clarke entered the Navy on Monday and was assigned to the Great Lakes Training Station in Illinois, Donald qualified for training in radar.

After four years in the Army, Capt. Wade Warfield Ridgely is expecting to be discharged soon.

With The Dixie Division In Mindanao

Spearheading a seven day assault on a fantastically fortified patch of the woods along the Sayre National Highway, the 31st Infantry Division company of which Pfc. Marion E. Hipsley, of Sykesville, Md., is a member, ran into everything from a swarm of bees to invisible bell-bottomed Jap foxholes in its toughest fight in 16 months overseas. Hipsley was uninjured.

Carrying the fight for two days to an enemy it could not see. Hipsley’s company of the 124th Infantry Regiment played an important part in the eventual neutralization of the woods and the freeing of several urgently needed airstrips. One platoon, caught in the open on patrol, had to fight off 200 Japs banzaing with fixed bayonets; the G. I.’s made it back to their lines leaving some 30 of the enemy dead.

Hipsley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Hispley, of Sykesville, is a squad leader in the platoon which for half an hour swatted bees with one and hand and battled Japs with the other. In this half hour the Japs were less effective than the bees.

Kings Point, N.Y.

Cadet-Midshipman John. L Caswell, 21, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Casswell, of Sykesville, Md., has just graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy here. He has qualified for his license as Third Mate and he will soon be shipping out in that capacity aboard a vessel of the U.S. Merchant Marine. In addition to receiving his license he received a commission as Ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve.

Caswell is a graduate of Sykesville High School. He was appointed to the U.S. Merchant Marine Cadet Corps. 21 1/2 months ago, reporting to the Academy here. After three months studies he was assigned as a deck Cadet-Mishipman to a merchant ship carrying war supplies to the far-flung battlefronts. Serving nine and one half months at sea he returned to King’s Point nine months ago to complete his academic studies.

During his sea training, Caswell’s ship participated in the invasion of France and was subjected to attack by enemy aircraft and shore batteries.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: