With Those In The Service: August 10, 1944

August 10, 1944

Coming Home

Pvt. Ross C. Hornbaker, coast artillery, is returning from 26 months overseas in the southwest Pacific war theatre. According to a War Department news release, he will arrive approximately August 15 at the reception center at Fort Meade, Md., prior to reaching his home near Eldersburg, where he will visit his mother, Mrs. Myrtle Adelsperger.

Casualty Reports

Pfc. George Leakins, who before his induction into the Army a year and a half ago was employed by Harris Department Store, has been wounded in action in France, according to information just received by his parents.

Steam Fitter Third Class Vernon Hill, of the Seabees, is in a Naval Hospital in Australia recuperating from a broken left leg. He was injured in an accident in New Guinea on July 12.

A month after he was reported wounded, Mrs. Sterling Umbaugh is receiving letters from her soldier husband, written in his own hand and telling of his normal improvement. Sterling was shot in the leg and suffered a flesh wound in the chest June 26 on Hiak Island, in the South Pacific. He is convalescing in a hospital in New Guinea.

Jefferson Girls Home

With two service daughters on furlough and one civilian daughter on vacation, “Raincliffe Farm,” the home of Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Jefferson of the Marines, stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., arrived July 30 for a two-week furlough. She came across the continent, and plans to return, by plane.

Lt. (j g.) Grace Jefferson, of the WAVES, who is stationed in New York, came home last week for several days. Miss Elsie Jefferson, of Baltimore, is spending her vacation here.

Military Miscellany

Capt. R. K. Barnes, who had been stationed in Hawaii, arrived in Sykesville Friday for a few days at home before reporting to Fort Benning, Ga., for three months at officers’ school. He left on Monday for Georgia, accompanied by his wife.

Lt. Margaret B. Krider, an Army nurse stationed at Fort Jackson, S. C., has been transferred for four weeks of training at Camp Rucker, Alabama.

Pvt. Clarence Austin Brown stationed in California, is home on a 21-day furlough.

Ph. M. 3-c Mary Virginia Lee, of the WAVES, who was stationed at the U. S. Naval Hospital, Brooklyn, New York, for nine months, has been transferred to: Wave Quarters “G”, Florida Hall C-208 1, Arrington Farms, Va.

Soldier Items

Pfc. Joseph Monoghan, of the Marine base at Quantico, Va., is home for a few days.

Cpl. Gurney E. Davis, in the Army for nearly two years, was sent overseas in July and is now receiving his mail in care of the Postmaster at New York.

Pvt. C. H. “Buddy” Thompson, serving as an electric welder and truck mechanic in the Army, is now in the South Pacific. He has been overseas for 14 months.

Cpl. R. R. Burton, 22, of Sykesville, is one of three Maryland ground crewmen for a Marine aviation group to be cited for devotion to duty during the Japanese shelling of their air base in the Solomons last March. The citation was made by Maj. Gen Ralph J. Mitchell.

Naval Aircrewmen

Arthur H. Wampler, Aviation Ordnance Mate, third class, son of Mr. and Mrs. Luther D. Wampler, of Sykesville, after 13 months of preparatory work in Naval Training Schools, has completed the final phase of his training and is now a Naval Aircrewman, qualified to wear the Navy Aircrew Wings.

Having completed operational training at the U. S. Naval Air Station, Hutchinson, Kansas, he will fly as a member of the crew of one of the Navy’s “Liberator” patrol-bombers.

Invasion Poem

To give the folks back home a picture of how men aboard ship feel on their first invasion, Pvt. Melville N. Gamber, of the Amphibian Engineers, formerly of Flohrville, sends this poem, called “The Landing of Company D.” The author is unknown and the setting is somewhere along New Guinea.

The Landing of Company D

If you, my friends, will lend me an ear, I’ll tell you of a cruise of an amphibian engineer
And the facts leading up to a landing at dawn,
For which we had practiced so hard and so long.

On a dull day in April of forty-four
We started from a spot on a New Guinea shore
And steamed, to the north in search of the Japs
To knock off the smiles from their well known maps.

It started to rain as we boarded the ship
And we were soaked to the skin as we pulled from the slip
But with spirits undaunted, hanging on to our pride
We soon were asleep on the deck’s upper side.

We sailed at night and the next day, too,
With the sky overcast on a deep sea of blue;
While the next day at dawning found us well on our way,
With the ships all around us lining up for the prey.

There were flat-tops and cruisers and battleships,
Spread over the ocean but still side by side
Their guns fully loaded, with men standing by
And air craft primed ready to take to the sky.

Rumors are always spreading over the ship
Telling if trouble we’d have with the Nips,
But thinking it over we feared not the worst
For we knew deep inside we’d get the Japs first.

The fourth day rolled round and was spent shooting crap
And we hoped on the fifth we’d be shooting at Japs;
So with stout hearts still beating and prayers on our lips
We dropped off in slumber and dreamed of dead Nips.

The hours dragged on, dawn came up fast,
Bringing the thrill of landing at last;
With the first streak of light, found the Navy red hot
Pounding the beach with cannon and shot.

The infantry landed to press the attack
And the Japs in amazement kept on falling back
Then we in the next wave arrived on the run
Bringing supplies for each rifle and gun.

There is never an end to a landing at dawn,
But I’ve said all I could the things that went on
So I’ll close with a prayer, this very short tale
Of another step toward the Homeward Trail.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: