With Those In The Service: January 25, 1945

January 25, 1945

Military Miscellany

Mrs. Vernon L. Hill, Flohrville, received a telephone call the other day from her Seabee husband, now in a West Coast hospital. S.F. 3-c Hill was in the South Pacific for eleven months. Last July 13, he suffered a broken left leg and double fracture of ankle. He now anticipates either a medical discharge or assignment as an instructor. His address: Vernon L. Hill, S.F. 3-c, U. S. Naval Hospital, C 4, Unit 1, Corona, Calif.

Friends of Chaplain Karl B. Justus will be interested to know that he is scheduled to speak over radio station WOR Newark, N. J., on this Sunday morning, Jan. 28, at 9:30.

Veteran of 13 months service overseas, R.D.M. 2-c Albert Barnes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roby Barnes, near SYkesville, returned to duty on January 14, after 32-day furlough at home. Young Barnes took part in two invasions–Anzio Beach and Southern France.

Sgt. Wm. Arrington Missing

Sgt. William A. Arrington, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. William Arrington near Oakland, has been missing in action since December 21, according to a War Department communication received by the local family. Sgt. Arrington was serving with an Army engineering unit in Belgium, scene of the December German break-through. He was inducted last March and left the States early in November.

Soldier Items

Describing the scenes and weather of the topics, which he says sometimes get monotonous, T-4 Arthur J. “Bus” Forsythe, son of Mrs. Macy Forsythe of Sykesville, longs for “Maryland’s bracing ice and cold.” (We’ll trade you a month or so of our “bracing” weather, right now, Bus.) in the service for some 2 1/2 years, in the Ordnance Department, the local soldier was variously stationed in Texas, California, Maryland and Mississippi, before being shipped overseas about four months ago. After a short time at New Guinea, he is now in the Philippines.

After two years in the Army, Sgt. Frederick Husselbaugh, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Husselbaugh of Marriottsville, received an honorable discharge on January 8. He suffered a broken leg last May and was a patient at Finney General Hospital, Thomasville, Ga., for several months. He was awarded the good conduct medal.

S. 1-c Bernard Cook, Norfolk, Va., spent the weekend at his home here.

Pvt. Francis Yingling has returned to camp after a week’s furlough with his family in Sykesville.

John W. Williams, A.M.M. 2-c, son of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Williams, Liberty road, left by plane for San Diego, Calif., Tuesday Jan. 23, after spending an 18 day leave with his parents. He has been in the Navy two years. Receiving his boot training at Bainbridge, he was sent to Jacksonville for eight months, where he received his rating as A.M.M. 3-c. He was then transferred to Grosse Ile, Mich., for a ten-months course, and was made 2-c. He was chosen one of the three out of a class of 80 to take advanced training in Liberator Bomber School at Minneapolis, Minn. He expects to be on the Coast several months before leaving for overseas.

Aviation Cadet

Aviation Cadet Arthur J. Linn, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Linn, near Sykesville, is undergoing his primary flight training at Carlstrom Field, Arcadia, Fla., preparatory to becoming a combat pilot in the United States Army Air Force.

Cadet Linn was graduated from Hyattsville High School in 1938, then he enrolled in the University of Maryland. Prior to entering the service, he was employed as a toolmaker for the National Electric Machine Shops in Washington D. C. He was appointed to cadet training at Fort Meade, Md., and upon completion of his C.T.D. training at the University of Tennessee, he was transferred to the Florida field. He is the husband of Mrs. Mary C. Linn.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: