With Those In The Service: May 3, 1945

May 3, 1945

Military Miscellany

A. M. 3-c Terry Dearing, who has been stationed at Otis Field, Camp Edwards, Mass., is home for a few days before reporting to a navy school in Oklahoma, where he is to take a four months” course in arc-welding.

S. Sgt. John E. Baker, Marriottsville, is enjoying a month’s furlough at home after 1 1/2 years in Alaska. Before going to Uncle Sam’s far northwestern possession, John was stationed for six months in Canada. He arrived home on April 20 and is to report for duty on May 14.

S. Sgt. Norman S. Cope, tail turret gunner of a B24 of the 15th Air Force, was reported missing in action April 10, according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James O. Cope, R1, Woodbine. Sgt. Cope had been awarded the Air Medal and several additional clusters as well as a Presidential Citation in the Italian campaign.

Mathew Reilley, Sykesville, one of the group from the local draft board to be inducted this week, has been assigned to Rhode Island for training. Mathew qualified for an engineer’s rating in the Seabees, navy construction battalion.

Soldier Items

The Gallery of Honor for the servicemen from the Woodbine community and vicinity which now contains about sixty-four photographs will be continued for about ten days yet. The Roll of Honor will then be placed in Calvary Lutheran Church, Woodbine. In addition to the photographs, maps, flags, etc., various medals, decorations and citations have been put on display.

It is now “Corporal” Wallace V. Brown. He is stationed in the South Pacific and his address is available at the Herald office.

Pfc. Charles Edward Piehler, who has been serving with the 7th Armored Infantry Battalion attached to the 9th Army, has been either injured or wounded in Germany and is now in a hospital in France. In letters to his mother, Mrs. George R. Eaton, Pfc. Piehler says the injury is not serious. He sends regards to all his friends and says he would be glad to hear from them. His new address may be obtained at the Herald office.

Chief Flohr Returns

Chief Gunner’s Mate Myrl P. Flohr, of the Navy, surprised his family Saturday, April 14, by returning to his home after 27 months in the Pacific, where he took part in most of the major invasions in that area. The local sailor, who entered the service a year prior to Pearl Harbor, has served for five years and five months, all in foreign service except for eight months on the Atlantic seaboard attending school in naval hydraulics. Chief Flohr, accompanied by his wife, Irene Rooty Flohr, left last Friday for the West Coast to report to his ship.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: