With Those In The Service: September 13, 1945

September 13, 1945

Veterans Discharged

After 4 1/2 years in the Army, T. 4 SETH F. HOWES, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Howes, Sykesville, was discharged Monday, Sept. 10, 1945, from Fort Meade. He entered the service March 12, 1941 and was overseas 32 months with the 20th General Hospital in the India-Burma theatre. While overseas, Seth was hospitalized for four months following explosion of a sterilizer that severely burned his hands and slightly burned his face. He has 91 points and wears the American Defense and Asiatic-Pacific service ribbons, the Good Conduct medal and one Battle Star.

Pfc. EDWIN A. GORSUCH, Sykesville, who entered the service Oct. 3, 1941, was discharged Aug. 25, 1945 with 85 points. He was overseas for 33 months and a German prisoner of war for 26 months. Pfc. Gorsuch, who recently married Miss Anna Myers, Sykesville school teacher, saw service in Algeria, French Morocco and Tunisia. He has the Good Conduct medal, Combat Infantryman badge, and the American Defense and European-African-Middle Eastern service ribbons.

S. Sgt. FRANCIS M. FREDERICK, Woodbine, inducted May 9, 1942, was discharged Aug. 23, 1945. He saw 18 months of foreign service, has 93 points and the Good Conduct medal. He served with the Headquarters Squadron XIX Tactical Air Command and participated in the air offensive in Europe, Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe.

With 103 points, Pfc. AUSTIN R. RIPPEON, Woodbine, was discharged Aug. 22, 1945, four years and four months after his induction on April 30, 1941. He served with an Anti-Tank Company of the 271st Infantry and saw action in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe. In addition to the American Defense and European service ribbons, he has the Good Conduct medal and one Bronze Arrowhead.

Military Miscellany

S. 1-c Elsie Jefferson, U.S.C.G., who is in the Anchorage Department, New York, was home on leave and returned to duty on Tuesday.

Sailor David M. Scott, stationed on Guam, has been promoted to Seaman First Class.

1st. Sgt. William Bandorick, Camp Blanding, Fla., is spending a 20-day furlough at his home in Brooklyn Park.

Pfc. William T. Thompson is on a 30-day furlough after serving in European Area around four months.

James E. Ellis, III, S-1-c, is spending a week with his grandparents and other relatives in this vicinity, after which he reports back to Philadelphia, Pa. He has been serving in the Navy about four years.

Mrs. William E. Gamber is visiting her husband, Pvt. Gamber, who is seriously ill in Lawson General Hospital, Atlanta, Ga.



Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: