With Those In The Service

January 11, 1945

Pfc. Mielke Killed In Action

Two months after he was sent over seas, Pfc. Julius E. Meilke, 24, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Mielkie, Holbrook, was killed in action in Germany on December 13, according to an official War Department communication received by his family. He was the husband of Mrs. Blanche Triplett Mielke, known to many in Sykesville as a former operator in the Steward Bankert beauty shop.

Besides his wife and parents, Pvt. Mielke is survived by three brothers, William and Vernon, of Holbrook, and Carl, of the U.S. Army, and a sister, Mrs. Robert Knauff, of Holbrook. He was a nephew of Mrs. George Ruch, Liberty road.

A graduate of the Randallstown and Catonsville High Schools, Pvt. Mielke was inducted on March 31, 1944 and sent overseas in October. He was active in young people’s work at Ward Chapel Methodist Church and was widely known and highly respected in his community.

Home From South Pacific

Back from 18 months of service in the Solomon Islands, in the South Pacific, Marin Cpl. Richard R. Burton, son of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Burton, of Oakland Mills, is enjoying a 30-day furlough at home.

Cpl. Burton reached the States on December 23 and arrived at his home on January 6. He is to report to the Marine base at Quantico, Va., for reassignment on Estuary 6. Most of his period of service in the South Pacific was at Bouganville. Member of the ground crew of the Marine air force on the island, Burton was a propeller specialist. The Marine Air Wing, to which he was attached, received a Presidential citation last March.

Letter From Pfc. Geo. Leakins

In a letter written by his lieutenant on January 5, Pfc. George Leakins, recovering at Kennedy General Hospital, Ward 7, Memphis, Tenn,. from wounds received in Germany, wishes to thank friends and relatives in Sykesville for Christmas packages and cards.

George says he has a slight head injury and is having a little trouble with his eyes, but adds it is nothing serious and that he is coming along fine.

“I am able to walk around the ward a little each day,” said the local soldier. “And when this letter is finished, the writer and I are going over to PX for a coke.”

Military Miscellany

Nearly 11,000 miles from home; two Sykesville soldiers met recently in the Philippines. They were T.5 Clyde S. Lewis and Pvt. Milton Conaway.

Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Stem, of Flohrville, received word from their son, Pfc. Monroe A. Stem, U.S.M.C. that he is back in the States after being in the South Pacific 31 months. He is now at Naval Hospital, Seattle, Washington.

After six months in the Army. Pvt. Herman Eheling, Camp Swift, Texas, has been given an honorable discharge and is back at his home near Sykesville.

Pvt. Darrell Richardson, recently sent overseas, is now in Italy. His address may be obtained at the Herald office.

Cpl. Richard Chipley has been transferred from Orlando, Fla., to Camp Gordon, Ga.

Pvt. W. C. Tomlinson, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, has been transferred to the Army Air Field at Malden, Missouri.

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: